Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Extended Stay

I never thought that in my first days of motherhood I would be praying for pee, but that is exactly what ended up happening. As time passed without a wet diaper, I began to get more and more worried. By the second day I was really concerned. We gave Camden permission to pee on anyone he wanted that day--just as long as he would pee. The pediatrician came in to check him out and said that everything looked ok. He was perplexed as to what the problem might be. He began pushing quite hard on his belly to check for a full bladder and that was just what Camden needed--he peed ALL over the place. Everyone cheered and I broke out in tears. I didn't even cry at the delivery, but I felt such a sense of relief at that moment I just couldn't help it.

I thought that meant that everything was fine and we'd be on our way home that afternoon, but turns out that they wanted to collect a urine sample and run some tests. So then, we sat and waited and waited some more. Worry began to creep in again and I was so disappointed when we were told that we would not be able to go home that day. I was thankful that they were taking every precaution, but I was also ready to be at home. We had even gotten all ready and packed up the car to go home.

They ended up putting some gauze in his diaper to collect the sample and we continued to check every few minutes. In the meantime they did an ultrasound on his kidneys to see if there were any problems there. Since we were going to be there for awhile, Bryan took the opportunity to take plenty of pictures during our extended stay.


That evening when the tech came in to weigh him, she took off his diaper and casually said "He has a wet diaper" She was surprised when we all busted out in a cheer and yelled "Don't throw it out!" The next morning we were given a clean bill of health and told that we could go home. The only explanation was that he was dehydrated and needed more fluids. He was also a little jaundiced, but not enough to need an intervention. We got all loaded up and ready to go. Camden wasn't so sure about his car seat at first. But once we were on the road he decided he liked it.




Our family--finally home together.

No comments:

Post a Comment