What better place to start than the day that sweet Camden arrived. Well, actually the fun began the day before so we will start there. About 11am on Saturday I started feeling some contractions. They weren't very strong and about 10-15 minutes apart. I wasn't sure that they were actually "real." Bryan and I had plans to go out to dinner at Vincenzos that night. Even though I was having contractions fairly regularly, we decided to go anyway because we thought we had plenty of time until I was REALLY in labor since contractions were still so far apart. Dinner was delicious, but within 15 minutes of being home things had changed dramatically. My contractions were much stronger and only 5 minutes apart. We were supposed to be leaving any minute to pick up my mom at the airport, but I knew that we needed to head to the hospital instead. We sent mom a quick message that we were on our way to the hospital and she would need to find a way there. After about an hour in triage, they confirmed that I was in active labor and was going to be having this baby. We called Bryan's parents and told them to head to Cincinnati for the birth of their first grandchild.
Soon after getting to the delivery room I was at about 4-5cm dilated and ready for my epidural. Best.decision.ever. Once I had the epidural, life was good.
I was able to relax, hang out with the family, and even get some rest.
Awhile later I had only progressed to 6cm and they mentioned possibly starting pitocin. They came in to checked me before starting the pitocin and I was already at 8 cm and then the next at 10cm. Unfortunately, the ride wasn't even close to being over. Camden was still really high up and not coming down. They suspected that his head was turned to the side and not allowing him to drop. The plan was to try and push and see if they could turn his head, but then my contractions stopped for a full 15 minutes! They decided to go ahead and start me on pitocin at this point to increase contractions. They also had me turn from side to side every 30 minutes and even mentioned that a C section might be necessary. After a few tears and lots of prayers, they checked me and said he was in perfect position! A few pushes later (and a little help from the vacuum suction) he was finally here at 1:35pm. My perfect Mother's Day gift.
I was tired, medicated and happy beyond measure!
No comments:
Post a Comment