Monday, August 6, 2012

Rock-A-Bye No More

While on vacation, Camden started fighting his naps. And when I say fighting, I mean SERIOUSLY fighting. He would straighten his legs, arch his back, and scream. It was not a pleasant experience. I chalked it up to him being out of his comfort zone and figured things would go back to normal once we were home.

Well, once we were home he continued to fight. I finally said "Well, if he's going to fight this much with me rocking him, I'll just put him in the crib and see what he does." I thought there was no way he'd ever go for it. Imagine my surprise when after 5 minutes he had calmed down and within 10 minutes he was sound asleep! I thought for sure it was a fluke and he would never do it again. Surely it couldn't be this easy. Well, there has been no looking back. He has continued to do this for over a week for every nap and bedtime.

I have mixed emotions. I absolutely love the freedom it gives--and extra time it allows. I love that he can soothe himself and we don't feel like we have to go running at every little noise. I love that he seems to nap better for longer periods of time. But I miss rocking my baby. I feel like it is the first sign that he is already growing up. He doesn't need me to fall asleep anymore. I miss those sweet moments with him in my arms. But the reality is...they weren't sweet moments anymore--they were screaming moments with arched back and straight legs. I have to take my cues from him and he let me know he was ready to do it on his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment